30.1.12

Make it.


If I'm not running around like a chicken with its head cut off, I really do like to be creative and make things. That being said, lately the projects have been few and far between, but yesterday late-night I had to pull out the scissors and felt bag for my mental health. I won't insult you with a tutorial, as this is SO easy that you can figure it out on your own, but I'll post some photos of the very cute hair clip I made for Fiona in about 4 minutes before I fell asleep.





The one thing I will say is a comment about the felt I use. I have shopped around quite a bit over the years trying to find the best balance between the astronomical cost of fabulous wool felt and the really stellar qualities of fabulous wool felt. Projects are so much cleaner and precise when you use high-quality felt, and I've found that the best felt I can buy can be found at Magic Cabin. Try not to keel over when you see the prices. I am very careful to waste nothing with felt. Look at the size of the heart in the centre of the hair clip, and picture that as a tiny, seemingly useless scrap from a bigger project. A little goes a long way, and with an investment in some good felt your projects are endless, particularly if you have daughters.

So, find four minutes for yourself, and make something. It doesn't have to be a felt hair clip. It could be chocolate milk. But enjoy yourself.

6 comments:

  1. That is adorable! Seemingly stupid question, do you sew or glue the pieces together, and how do you affix the flower to the clip? What kind of glue? (i'm a knitter, but never used felt. But I LOVE that clip!) Many thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same questions, namely, how did you glue it? hot glue gun? special fabric glue? super glue? I have seen these at the boutique store nearby, and have wanted to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, okay. So maybe I should add a LITTLE detail...
    Yes, hot glue. My best friend. Hot glue is SO easy. You could easily do this with fabric glue as well, which is my other best friend.
    Hot glue affixes the flower to the clip.

    And, mothers of daughters with super straight shiny hair, hot glue also serves as a no-slip agent on the inside of the clip to prevent it from sliding off.

    Go, hot glue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you glue it together? Sew it? Love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops - you already answered it. Got it!

    ReplyDelete